It is crazy that we are about to enter the year 2020. As I write this article, we are all extremely busy with the December activities as we enter into Christmas. I must document these outstanding efforts and programs that we carried to the
finish line in December. I thank everyone for all of the work and dedication that participated in the following:
- Our Departed Members Memorial service on Dec 1st. Thank you to the Kamper’s for the wonderful brunch.
- We distributed Dictionaries to the last elementary school. Thank you to the Woodliefs.
- We reviewed all of the submitted essays for our Scholarship program. Thank you Reem.
- Our Christmas tree lot was up and running under the leadership of Carlos Musquiz.
- Our Charity Basket Program was once again rolled out and very successful. Thank you, Leo and Lynn Rodriguez.
- We served the ER Christmas dinner to over 90 folks. Thank you, Sandy Hoffman.
- The Elks Ladies Children’s Christmas Party. Thank you, Elks Ladies.
As we enter January, I wanted to share with all of you that we have increased our membership from 445 on April 1st to 472. I thank everyone who has assisted in the recruitment of new members and I recognize the efforts being made in our Public Relations program. I thank Adelaide Wavra for the exposure we are getting with the local press, Elk’s publications and Facebook. Joining the Elks is good, particularly when it is at the Thousand Oaks Elk Lodge. People ask me “What do I get for my dues?” I always respond by saying the following: You will get the opportunity to associate with the most caring and compassionate people in the community. You will have the opportunity to uplift the lives of those less fortunate than us. I always close this by telling them, we will not charge extra for what it will do for to your soul as you join hands with your fellow Elks to brighten someone’s day and improve the day to day challenges in our community. Take pride in being an Elk and continue to get the word out.
We start off January with our annual Hair of the Dog potluck celebration on January 1st. The Rose Bowl will be on and the food that folks bring in is outstanding. What a great way to start the New Year. Several other activities will be available as well. Hope to see you there.
Sandy and I wish everyone Happy New Year. Be safe.